Many of us had to cancel our vacations and have had to stay at home and get really creative with our own spaces.
we have some tips to get you started!
Below is my deck. Loaded with vines, herbs and flowers.
Get some ideas to create your very own vacation inspired backyard & try this tasty BBQ recipe!
5 Ideas to transform your backyard or patio
- Set the Ambiance!
Set the mood with tasteful lighting. LED light strips are very affordable now and come in every color under the sun! If LEDs aren’t in your budget, candles or soft light bulbs can offer attractive lighting as well.
- Get Comfortable: Chairs and poofs are great way to add that special touch to your outdoor space. TIP: Etsy has some unique fabric patterns for outdoor pillows. OR make your own!
- Keep Cool: With the hot summer days upon us it is important to provide shade and/or a bit of moisture to the air. Invest in an umbrella or place seating in shady spots so you can enjoy being outside at the hottest point of the day.
TIP: I bought a water mister that hooks up to the hose and provides a very fine mist for those really hot days.
- Dig It: Get digging! It is not only rewarding, it is very therapeutic. Get creative with planters, using different textures, colors and heights.
- Herb it out: Grow your own herbs. They are not only beautiful they are a great way to add freshness to your meals or infuse water for a refreshing beverage.
Having fun and relaxing is good for the body, mind and soul. Have a great holiday weekend—even if some of us are just traveling to our transformed backyards!
Ginger, Garlic, Soy Grilled Turkey Patties Paired with Grilled Pineapple
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 pound ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
2 teaspoons minced garlic (from 1 to 2 cloves)
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Vegetable oil, for grill
8 thin slices pineapple (from 1/2 cored pineapple)
4 hamburger buns or brioche buns
2 ounces Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, chopped (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
Green-leaf lettuce, for serving
Preheat grill to high (see cook's note if using charcoal). Cover onion with cold water and let stand 10 minutes; drain and pat dry. Mix together turkey, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Shape into four 4-ounce patties, then flatten each to 1 inch thick and season with salt. (Patties can be made a few hours ahead and refrigerated.)
Brush grates with vegetable oil. Grill pineapple until lightly charred on both sides and softened, 4 to 5 minutes. If desired, grill split sides of buns until lightly charred, about 30 seconds.
Grill patties until slightly charred and just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes a side. In last minute of cooking, top each patty with cheese, cover grill, and let melt.
Stir together mayonnaise and jalapeño. Spread buns with mayonnaise mixture and use to sandwich patties, pineapple, lettuce, and onion.
Check out our fun cooking videos to get some inspiration for the 4th of July
or your next backyard party!
Combining years of clinical experience and the formation of a meaningful partnership with an organization’s human resources department, Ulliance is among the best EAP providers, and our experts can tailor recommendations for a variety of work\life circumstances.
To learn how we can help, give call us at 866.648.8326.
The Ulliance Employee Assistance Program can address the
• Stress about work or job performance
• Crisis in the workplace
• Conflict resolution at work or in one’s personal life
• Marital or relationship problems
• Child or elder care concerns
• Financial worries
• Mental health problems
• Alcohol/substance abuse
• Interpersonal conflicts
• AND MORE!