Try these 5 ways of letting healthcare workers know you’ve got their backs.
Caring for others, while very rewarding, can be taxing work.
Worker burnout, the syndrome caused by feelings of emotional exhaustion at work, poses a serious risk to the healthcare industry. Studies from the Mayo Clinic and the American Medical Association have found that burnout rates among healthcare providers are high—and continuing to rise.
Thankfully, there are ways you can help reduce and even prevent burnout by showing your healthcare employees that you care.
Let your employees know you have their backs by incorporating these five anti-burnout methods into your plans:
- Encourage Employee Wellness - Encouraging good physical and mental health practices for your healthcare employees can have benefits that stretch far beyond medical charts. Consider offering free, health-focused classes to your employees and, chances are, the benefits will be passed on to their patients. Free yoga or meditation classes are a good option because they combine physical activity with mental wellness. And both options are shown to lower stress levels when practiced regularly.
- Build Teams - Team-building activities can help create and maintain a positive culture at your organization. Why? Because such activities simultaneously help people feel connected, improve communication and reduce chances of future workplace conflict. Unique experiences your healthcare employees can bond over will also support employee engagement, which is a proven way to increase employee retention.
- Check-in Regularly - Checking in with your employees to see how they’re doing might seem like a no brainer, but it can often fall to the back burner amidst your other tasks. Scheduling time to meet with your employees shows them you’re thinking of them outside of their annual performance review. Plus, the check-ins will help you to build trust and rapport with your team. Having strong relationships with your healthcare employees will also help you to spot or thwart issues that arise in the future.
- Recognize Employees for Their Achievements - Recognizing employee success is an easy and effective way to engage staff and show that you care. This doesn’t mean you need to launch an “Employee of the Week” program, but you might consider sending a regular email that includes some recent employee achievement highlights. Even a simple, handwritten note can go a long way in expressing gratitude.
- Utilize the Ulliance EAP and Wellness Programs - Offering an employer-sponsored employee assistance program (EAP) or wellness program can help employees resolve personal and work problems that may be adversely affecting their life. Having these plans in place can provide comfort to your team, should they experience marital, family, financial or emotional issues, or substance or alcohol abuse.Custom Ulliance Life Advisor Wellness® Programs can guide your employees to a healthier lifestyle and help them stay on track, further reinforcing your commitment to their overall well-being.
CLICK BELOW TO DOWNLOAD THE ULTIMATE EAP GUIDE!
When it comes to caring for your healthcare employees, any cost incurred should be seen as a smart investment. Ulliance EAP and Wellness Programs are the perfect solutions for healthcare organizations that value their employees. How can we help you? Visit www.ulliance.com, or call 866-648-8326.